Sunday, December 14, 2014

Beginning

Procrastination is something that I've been trying to come to terms with over the past few years. As I said in my last post, I believe that starting later rather than earlier can be personally helpful for me, but procrastination is a different issue for me. In all honesty, I don't know what makes me put off starting projects. It's a completely irrational force; the same one that keeps you from getting out of bed in the morning even when you know that you have to. Your brain denies that the procrastination will carry negative consequences and keeps on doing what it's doing until eventually, the gravity of the situation outweighs the laziness.
When I was putting off writing this blog post a few minutes ago, I wasn't doing it because this was a particularly demanding or unpleasant assignment, it was because it was something that had to get done, and for some reason, those things always get placed on the back-burner in my brain. Even if I'd rather be writing this than watching SNL, my subconscious puts watching SNL on the top of the to-do list because it's not mandatory. Right now, I'm procrastinating by looking at a homework assignment that is due on Friday, simply because it isn't as urgent. Like I said, it's completely illogical.
Usually, when I'm procrastinating, I go through the list of websites that I like, and I start working when I'm done (or at least, that's what I tell myself). A lot of times, I'll be scrolling on Facebook thinking, "Yeah, I'm gonna start in a minute," when I get sidetracked again. About fifteen minutes later, the smart part of my brain says, "Who are you kidding? Microsoft Word/ Windows Movie Maker/ Blogger/ etc. isn't even open." And once I do open it, the dumb part of my brain says, "You've earned another break." The same pattern goes on for almost the entire project.
I have not yet found a way to effectively break this cycle. The only way for me to work continuously on a project is if I'm incredibly interested in what is happening, which varies in likelihood depending on what kind of project it is. I also think that procrastination varies from person to person, because some people are more determined than others to get the job done. I wish I were one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment