Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Painting by Bonnard

I chose this painting because it looked very one-dimensional at first, but I got a very different impression of it after looking at it for several minutes. I remembered Michael Kimmelman saying something like this in Chapter One of The Accidental Masterpiece. 
It looked like Marthe was only present from the waist down, but then I saw that she was actually bending over and that her head was simply much darker than the rest of her body. I think this creates a pretty cool effect. The thing that jumped out at me the most was the dog lying on the ground. It was a dark, solid, rust-colored shape which was a stark contrast to the rest of the predominantly pastel piece. I was also pleasantly surprised when I noticed the bathtub in the bottom left corner. I thought that it was typical for Bonnard to incorporate his beloved bathtub into the piece even though it wasn't technically being used directly.
I love how Bonnard uses all of these colors which would normally overpower the senses but uses them in such a way that makes the painting scattered and cohesive at the same time. The different shapes throughout the piece constantly pull my focus from place to place and keeps me captivated.

1 comment:

  1. This is a dry interesting piece of art, and you found a lot of the parts of it that make it so interesting. It is amazing that I didn't really notice the dog at first glance - somehow, even though it is the darkest thing on the painting, like a dog one is used to having in the house, it seems to vanish. The colors are amazing on this.

    Send me a copy of your script.

    ReplyDelete